Place:


Shipton under Wychwood  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipton under Wychwood like this:

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD, a village in Chipping-Norton district, and a parish partly also in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Evenlode, near the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, 4 miles NNE of Burford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Chipping-Norton. ...


The parish includes the chapelry of Leafield, the townships of Milton and Ramsden, the hamlets of Lyneham and Langley, and a large tract of Wychwood forest. Acres, 10,750. Real property, £13,326. Pop. in 1851, 2,958; in 1861, 3,163. Houses, 660. The property is much subdivided. S. manor belongs to J. Kilby, Esq.; Leafield and Langley manors, to Lord Churchill; and Milton manor, to the Earl of Ducie. S. Court, a fine old Tudor mansion, lately the seat of Sir J.Reade, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £335.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church is partly early English, and was restored in 1859. Some remains of a monastery, in later English architecture, adjoin the churchyard. The vicarages of Leafield and Ramsden are separate benefices. There are five national schools, and charities £97.

Shipton under Wychwood through time

Shipton under Wychwood is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipton under Wychwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipton under Wychwood in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10169

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipton under Wychwood ".