Place:


Shiplake  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shiplake like this:

SHIPLAKE, a village and a parish in Henley district, Oxford. The village stands on an eminence adjacent to the Thames, 1 mile WSW of a station of its own name on the Henley railway, and 3¼ miles S by E of Henley; commands a fine view; and has a postal wallbox under Henley-on-Thames. The parish comprises 2,692 acres. ...


Real property, £4,630. Pop., 621. Houses, 135. S. House is the seat of J. G. Phillimore, Esq.; the Coppice, of Sir J. R. Phillimore; Crowsley Park, of H. Baskerville, Esq.; and Holmwood, of the Hon. Misses Stanley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was recently repaired. There are a national school, and charities £13. Granger, the author of the "Biographical History of England,'' was vicar.

Shiplake through time

Shiplake is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shiplake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shiplake in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10167

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shiplake ".