Place:


Sarsden  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sarsden like this:

SARSDEN, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; on the river Evenlode, 2 miles E of Chipping-Norton-Junction r. station. Post-town, Chipping-Norton. Acres, 1, 770. Real property, £2, 217. Pop., 166. Houses, 33. The manor belongs to Earl Ducie. S. House is the seat of Lady Julia Langston. There is a Saxon or Danish camp. The living is a rectory, united with Churchill, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £262.* Patron, Earl Ducie. The church is ancient. There are an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £5.

Sarsden through time

Sarsden is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sarsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sarsden in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10161

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sarsden ".