Place:


Great Witley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Witley like this:

WITLEY (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Martley district, Worcester. The village stands 5½ miles SW of Stourport r. station; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Stourport.—The parish includes Redmarley hamlet, and comprises 2,633 acres. Rated property, £3,647. ...


Pop., 445. Houses, 80. W. Court is the seat of the Earl of Dudley, and was recently enlarged and beautified. The Dowager Queen Adelaide resided here in 1843. An ancient camp is on Woodbury hill; and was held, for some weeks, by Owen Glendower, against the English. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £400.* Patron, the Earl of Dudley. The church was recently restored.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes and 2 parts. Acres, 13,299. Pop., 3,480. Houses, 746.

Great Witley through time

Great Witley is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Witley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Witley, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10151

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Witley ".