Place:


Ramsden  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsden like this:

RAMSDEN, a township-chapelry in Shipton-under-Wychwood parish, Oxford; on Akeman-street and in Wychwood forest, 2¾ miles S of Charlbury r. station, and 3 ½ N by W of Witney. Post-town, Charlbury, under Enstone. Acres, 902. Real property, £941. Pop., 455. Houses, 92. The manor belongs to Lord Churchill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church was built in 1841. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Ramsden through time

Ramsden is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ramsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ramsden in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10123

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ramsden ".