Place:


Lewknor  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lewknor like this:

LEWKNOR, a village, a sub-district, and a hundred in Oxford, and a parish partly also in Bucks. The village stands near Icknield-street, under the Chilterns, 2½ miles NE of Watlington, and 5 S of Thame r. station; and has a post office under Tetsworth.—The parish includes also Postcombe chapelry in Thame district, Oxford, and Lewknor-Uphill township in Wycombe district and partly in Bucks. ...


Acres of the Thame district portion, 2,688; of the whole, 4,690. Real property of the T. d. portion, £3,144; of the whole, £5,339. Pop. of the T. d. portion, 598; of the whole, 833. Houses of the T. d. portion, 127; of the whole, 171. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir Edward Jodrell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £350.* Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The church is of varions dates; has a decorated English chancel, and a square tower; and contains a curious rich Norman font, a brass of 1370, and monuments of the Scroops and the Fanes. The p. curacy of Ashampstead or Cadmore-End is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £7.—The sub-district is in Thame district; and contains that district's portion of the parish, and eleven entire parishes. Acres, 18,412. Pop.,3,701. Houses, 801.-The hundred contains ten parishes and part of another. Acres, 19,338. Pop., 5,456. Houses, 1,138.

Lewknor through time

Lewknor is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lewknor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lewknor in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10063

Date accessed: 20th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lewknor ".