Place:


Broughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in Preston district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Preston parish, adjacent to the Preston and Lancaster railway, 3 miles N by W of Preston; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Barton, a post office under Preston, and a fair on 1 Aug. ...


Acres, 2,346. Real property, £6,862. Pop., 709. Houses, 126. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the.diocese of Manchester. Value, £106.* Patron, A. Sedgwick, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £110 ayear, and charities £15.-The subdistrict contains eight townships. Pop., 7,850.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of Preston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Preston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Preston and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10027

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broughton ".