Place:


Briercliffe  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Briercliffe like this:

BRIERCLIFFE, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Briercliffe-with-Extwistle; and lies near the East Lancashire railway, 3 miles NE by E of Burnley. Post Town, Burnley. Acres, 4,180. Real property, £5,222. Pop., 1,332. Houses, 263. There are quarries and cotton mills. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,024. Houses, 393. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £.250.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was built in 1840. There are two Baptist chapels and a national school.

Briercliffe through time

Briercliffe is now part of Burnley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Burnley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Briercliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Briercliffe, in Burnley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10023

Date accessed: 25th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Briercliffe ".