Place:


Bretherton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bretherton like this:

BRETHERTON, a township-chapelry in Croston parish, Lancashire; on the Douglas river, 1 mile E of Croston r. station, and 9 SSW of Preston. It has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,405. Real property, £4,485. Pop., 775. Houses, 149. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Croston. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school; the last founded in 1654, and having £112 a year.

Bretherton through time

Bretherton is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bretherton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bretherton, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10022

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bretherton ".