Place:


Nuffield  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nuffield like this:

NUFFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Henley district, Oxford; among the Chiltern hills, 4 miles E S E of Wallingford r. station and 7¼ N W by W of Henley-on-Thames. Post-town, Henley-on-Thames. Acres, 2,076. Real property, £2, 505. Pop., 259. Houses, 41. The manor belongs to Sir James Langham. ...


A Trinitarian friary was founded here before 1360. Nuffield Heathrises to an altitude of 757 feet above sea-level. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £405.* Patrons, Miss F. Burdett and Lady Langham alternately. The church is partly ancient and restored, was partly rebuilt by Ferrey, has a tower, and contains a cup-shaped font of the 13th century.

Nuffield through time

Nuffield is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nuffield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nuffield in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10019

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nuffield ".