Place:


Bolton le Sands  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bolton le Sands like this:

BOLTON-LE-SANDS, a township and a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the Lancaster and Kendal canal, and on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, contiguous to the sands of Morecambe bay, 4 miles N by E of Lancaster; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. ...


Acres, 1,571. Real property, £4,220. Pop., 692. Houses, 146.—The parish contains also the townships of Over Kellet, Nether Kellet, and Slyne-with-Hest. Acres, 7,905. Real property, £13,502. Pop., 1,713. Houses, 347. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is modern and very good. The vicarage of Over Kellet is a separate benefice. An endowed school has £35; other charities £101.

Bolton le Sands through time

Bolton le Sands is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bolton le Sands itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bolton le Sands, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10014

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bolton le Sands ".