Place:


Northmoor  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northmoor like this:

NORTHMOOR, a parish in Witney district, Oxfordshire; on the river Isis at the boundary with Berks, and on the river Windrush, 3¾ miles S S E of South Leigh r.station, and 6½ W S W of Oxford. It contains the hamlets of Moorton and Newbridge; and its post town is Standlake, under Witney. ...


Acres, 2,037. Real property, £3,026. Pop., 364. Houses, 81. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £158. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is transition-Norman, has a tower, and contains an effigies of a crusader. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a parochial school, and charities £40.

Northmoor through time

Northmoor is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northmoor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northmoor in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10012

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northmoor ".