Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PERTENHALL

PERTENHALL, formerly Peter's-Hall, a parish, with a village, in the district of St. Neots and county of Bedford; adjacent to Hunts, 2 miles S W by S of Kimbolton, and 7½ N E of Sharnbrook r. station. Post-town, Kimbolton, under St. Neots. Acres, 1,805. Real property, £3, 188. Pop., 404. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to John Martyn, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £510.* Patron, J. Beedham, Esq.The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains monuments of the Martyns, and a tablet to a niece of Oliver Cromwell. There are a Moravian chapel, and charities above £50.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Pertenhall AP/CP       Bedfordshire AncC
Place: Pertenhall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.