Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BASFORD

BASFORD, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Notts. The village is called also Old Basford. It stands on the river Leen, adjacent to the Nottingham and Mansfield railway, in a luxuriant valley, 3 miles NNW of Nottingham; and has a station of the name of Basford, on the railway, and a post office,‡ of the name of Old Basford, under Nottingham. It has under gone great recent increase; is a chief seat of the cotton hose and lace manufactures; has cotton and corn mills, bleaching and dyeing works; is the seat of the court of the honour of Peverel; and contains a jail for the honour, with attached bowling-green, which is much frequented by persons from Nottingham. The parish includes also New Basford, Bagthorpe, Carrington, Sherwood, Mapperley, Two-mile House, Bagnall, White-Moor-Place, and part of the hamlet of Daybrook. Acres, 2,720. Real property, £27,795. Pop., 12,185. Houses, 2,489. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Cinderhill, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £260. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; was renovated in 1860, at a cost of about £3,000; and has a new lofty tower in three storeys. The p. curacies of New Basford, Cinderhill, and Carrington are separate benefices. There are fourteen dissenting chapels, and a free school.

The subdistrict comprises the parishes of Basford, Beeston, and Wollaton. Acres, 6,500. Pop., 15,935. Houses, 3,303.—The district comprehends also the sub district of Bulwell, containing the parishes of Bulwell, Bilborough, Strelley, Nuthall, and Hucknall-Torkard; the subdistrict of Arnold, containing the parishes of Arnold, Lambley, Linby, Papplewick, Calverton, and Woodborough, and the extra-parochial liberty of New stead-Priory; the subdistrict of Carlton, containing the parishes of Gedling, Colwick, and West Bridgford, and part of the parish of Burton-Joyce; the subdistrict of Wilford, containing the parishes of Wilford, Ruddington, Bradmore, Bunny, Gotham, Thrumpton, Barton-in Fabis, and Clifton-with-Glapton; the subdistrict of Greasley, containing the parishes of Greasley, Eastwood, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Selston, and Annesley, the extra parochial tract of Felley, the extra-parochial tract of Codnor-Park, and part of the parish of Heanor,-the two last electorally in Derby; and the subdistrict of Ilkeston, containing the parishes of Cossall, Tro well, and Ilkeston, and part of the parish of Heanor,-the two last electorally in Derby. Acres, 88,039. Poor-rates in 1866, £26,560. Pop. in 1861, 73,285. Houses, 15,276. Marriages in 1866, 566; births, 2,971,-of which 256 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,703,-of which 807 were at ages under 5 years, and 37 were at ages above 85 years. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 5,781; births, 27,183; deaths, 15,848. The places of worship in 1851 were 43 of the Church of England, with 14,585 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 1,371 s.; 23 of Baptists, with 5,358 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 300 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 100 s.; 29 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 6,946 s.; 7 of New Connexion Methodists, with 2,023 s.; 19 of Primitive Methodists, with 2,816 s.; 3 of the Wesleyan Association, with 782 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 1,095 s.; 6 of Latter Day Saints, with 562 s.; and two undefined, with 84 s. The schools were 48 public day schools, with 3,305 scholars; 115 private day schools, with 3,330 s.; 117 Sunday schools, with 13,449 s.; and 14 evening schools for adults, with 342 s. The workhouse is in Basford.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Basford AP/CP       Basford PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Basford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.