Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEADON

HEADON, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands 3 miles N of Tuxford r. station, and 4 SE of East Retford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upton and Thorpe; and bears the name of Headon-with-Upton. Post town, Tuxford, under Newark. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £2, 841. Pop., 282. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to G. H. Vernon, Esq. Headon Park was a seat of the Eyres. The living is two fold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value of the vicarage, £220; of the rectory, £178. Patron of both, G. H. Vernon, Esq. The church is old, but good, and has a tower. There is a Methodist chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Headon Cum Upton CP/AP       East Retford PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place names: HEADON     |     HEADON WITH UPTON
Place: Headon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.