Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KIRKBY-IN-ASHFIELD

KIRKBY-IN-ASHFIELD, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands 1 mile W of Kirkby r. station, 1½ E of the boundary with Derbyshire, and 5 SW of Mansfield; is a large place; and has. a post office, of the name of Kirkby, under Mansfield. The parish includes also the village of Kirkby-Folly and the hamlet of Kirkby-Woodhouse; and contains the sources of the rivers Maun, Leen, and Erewash, and the junction of the Erewash Valley railway with the Nottingham and Mansfield railway. Acres, 5, 590. Real property, £11, 885; of which £5, 654 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 363; in 1861, 2, 886. Houses, 577. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mining. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the.Duke of Portland. Kirkby Old Hall, Langton Hall, and Hardwick are chief residences. Frame work knitting is largely carried on. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Kirkby-Woodhouse, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £730. * Patron, the Duke of Portland. The parish church is partly Norman, and was recently restored. The church of KirkbyWoodhouse was built in 1861. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a large parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Kirkby in Ashfield AP/CP       Basford PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Kirkby in Ashfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.