Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LIDLINGTON

LIDLINGTON, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands adjacent to the Bedford and Bletchley railway, 3 miles W by N of Ampthill; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ampthill. The parish comprise s 2,520 acres. Real property, £4,050. Pop., 845. Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the Land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is finely situated; but, from the nature of the foundation, is unsafe. The churchyard contains a marble monument to Mrs. W.C. Bentinck. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £45.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lidlington AP/CP       Ampthill PLU/RegD       Bedfordshire AncC
Place: Lidlington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.