Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LANGFORD

LANGFORD, a parish in Newark district, Notts; on the Newark and Lincoln railway, and on the Fosse way, near the river Trent. and near the boundary with Lincolnshire, 3 miles NNE of Newark r. station. Post-town, Newark. Acres, 2,182. Real property, £2,471. Pop., 161 . Houses, 24. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord Middleton. Langford House is the seat of T. A. F. Burnaby, Esq. Bricks are made. A Roman settlement was here. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Holme, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is a plain building, with a tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Langford CP/AP       Newark PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Langford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.