Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MENHENIOT, or MENHYNNET

MENHENIOT, or MENHYNNET, a village and a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall. The village stands near the river Seaton and the Cornwall railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Liskeard; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Liskeard, and fairs on 23 April, 11 June, and 28 July. The parish comprises 6,997 acres. Real property, £18,852; of which £9,198 are in mines, and £50 in quarries. Pop. in 1851,1,944; in 1861,2,423. Houses, 433. The increase of pop. arose from extensive mining operations. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Carminows, passed to the Trelawneys, and belongs now to E. Hambly, Esq. A long deserted mansion of the Trelawneys is at Poole; and was used, for many years, as a poor-house. A seat of Richard, Earl of Cornwall, was at Tencreek. There once was a lepers' hospital. The rocks include schist, serpentine, and lead and tin ores. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £800. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is later English, has a tower and spire, and was recently restored and enlarged. There are a national school at the village, with £8 a year from endowment, and another national school at Merrymeet. William of Wykeham, Moorman who first substituted English for Cornish in the church-service, and Holwell Carr, who gave his pictures to the national gallery, were vicars.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Menheniot CP/AP       Liskeard PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Menheniot

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.