Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILBOURNE

MILBOURNE, a township-chapelry in Kirkby-Thore parish, Westmoreland; on the Maidenway, adjacent to Cumberland, 3 miles N of Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 6½ NNW of Appleby. It contains the hamlets of Milbourne-Grange and Gullom-Holme; and its Post town is Kirkby-Thore, under Penrith. Acres, 5,282. Real property, with Newbiggen, £3,603. Pop. of M. alone, 324. Houses, 58. A large portion of the surface is moorish mountain, called Milbourne fells or Milbourne forest, extending eastward along the boundary with Cumberland to the vicinity of the meeting-point with Durham. Traces of an ancient British camp are at Green Castle; and a Roman altar was found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £95. Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church is of the early part of the 14th century. Charities, £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kirkby Thorpe CP/AP       Westmorland AncC
Place: Milburn

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.