Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILEHAM

MILEHAM, a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk; at the sources of the river Nar, 2¼ miles NE by E of Litcham, and 4 NNE of Fransham r. station. Post town, Litcham, under Swaffham. Acres, 2,851. Real property, £4,806. Pop., 546. Houses, 117. The manor of Mileham was given by William the Conqueror to Alan, son of Flaald; and belongs now to the Rev.B. Barnwell. The manor of Burghwood belongs to the Earl of Leicester. Remains exist of an ancient castle, supposed to have been erected by Alan, son of Flaald. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Valne, £650.* Patron, the Rev.B. Barnwell. The church is ancient; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains a brass of 1526, and monuments to the Stranges, the Barnwells, and the Davys. There are an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £53. Lord Chief Justice Coke was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Mileham AP/CP       Mitford and Launditch PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Mileham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.