Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILFORD

MILFORD, a village and a chapelry in Witley parish, Surrey. The village stands adjacent to the Guildford, Godalming, and Portsmouth railway, 1½ mile SS W of Godalming; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Godalming. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 717. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. Milford House, Mousehill Manor House, and Milford Cottage are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Valne, £90.* Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Witley CP/AP       Surrey AncC
Place: Milford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.