Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILFORD (NEW), or NEYLAND

MILFORD (NEW), or NEYLAND, a seaport-village in Llanstadwell parish, Pembrokeshire; on a creek of Milford Haven, at the terminus of the Neyland extension of the South Wales railway, opposite Paterchurch and Hobbs Point, 3¼ miles N W of Pembroke. It is mainly of recent growth; it took the name of New Milford, in lieu of the old name of Neyland, in rivalry of Milford, sitnated 4½ miles to the WN W; and it has a post office‡ of the name of Neyland, under Pembroke, a railway station with telegraph, of the name of New Milford, a railway pier, bringing down the railway to the water's edge, and a good hotel. The steamers to Waterford started formerly from Hobbs Point, and start now from New Milford railway pier. The appearance of the village is very fine.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a seaport-village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Llanstadwel CP/AP       Pembrokeshire AncC
Place names: MILFORD     |     MILFORD NEW     |     MILFORD NEW OR NEYLAND     |     NEW MILFORD     |     NEYLAND
Place: Neyland

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.