Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MONKSILVER

MONKSILVER, a village and a parish in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands 3 miles W of Williton r. station, and 6¼ N by W of Wiveliscombe; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodford, and comprises 1,005 acres. Real property, £1,528. Pop., 304. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to T. B. Notley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church comprises aisles and chancel, with porch and tower. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Monksilver CP/AP       Williton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Monksilver

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.