Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MONMOUTHSHIRE RAILWAY

MONMOUTHSHIRE RAILWAY, a railway system-in Monmouthshire; originally a line of 12 miles from Newport to Pontypool, with several branches and with the Monmouthshire canal, but eventually a ramified system of aggregately 44 miles. The Monmouthshire Canal company undertook to form it in 1845, by raising additional capital; they obtained power in 1855, to raise further capital to the amount of £202,510, and to borrow £67,500 by mortgage; they were authorized in 1861, to form new short connecting lines, aggregately 5 miles long, on a new capital of £100,000 in shares, and £25,000 in loans; they got power, in 1865, to construct two more short branches, to purchase the Brecon and Abergavenny canal, and to raise a further capital of £200,000 in shares, and £50,000 in loans; and they have an interest, by subscription, of £20,000, in the Alexandra dock. The system includes the Eastern Valleys railway, from Newport, past Pontypool, to Blaenavon; and the Western Valleys railway, from Newport, past Crumlin, to Nantyglo, with a branch from Aberdeen, up Ebbw-vawr vale, to the vicinity of Beaufort.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a railway system"   (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")
Administrative units: Monmouthshire AncC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.