Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MORICE, or MORICE-Town

MORICE, or MORICE-Town, a suburb of Devonport, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Stoke-Damerel district, Devon. The suburb lies on the NW of Devonport-proper, beyond the lines with which the town and arsenal are surrounded; is included within Devenport borough; took its name from the Morices, who held the manor of Stoke-Damerel from 1677 till 1749; has wharves on a creek of the Hamoaze, Keyham steam-basin, a blockhouse, a powder magazine, and a large brewery; and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the docks, or connected with them.—The chapelry bears the name of St. James-the-Great, and was constituted in 1846. Pop. in 1861,6,655. Houses, 596. The living a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is noticed in the article DEVoNPoRT. A Bible Christian chapel, with 500 sittings, and an adjoining school-room with capacity for 200 children, were built in 1865.-The subdistrict is much larger than the chapelry. Pop. in 1851, 9,372; in 1861,14,089. Houses, 838.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a suburb of Devonport, a chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Stoke Damerel Inc       Devon AncC
Place names: MORICE     |     MORICE OR MORICE TOWN     |     MORICE TOWN
Place: Morice

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.