Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MUNDEN (Great)

MUNDEN (Great), a parish in Ware district, Herts; 2 miles W by S of Braughing r. station, and 6½ N of Ware. It contains the hamlet of Munden-Furnival, and parts of the hamlets of Dane-End and Haultwick; and its post town is Ware. Acres, 3, 352. Real property, £5, 124. Pop. in 1851, 554; in 1861, 457. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Rowne a nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by the Duke of Brittany; but went to extinction before the time of Henry VI. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £705.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is partly Norman, but mainly decorated English, with some interpolated windows of later English; went into a ruinous condition; was restored, throughout the body, in 1866; and has a tower in stilla dilapidated state. There is a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Great Munden AP/CP       Ware PLU/RegD       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: GREAT MUNDEN     |     MUNDEN     |     MUNDEN GREAT
Place: Great Munden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.