Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEATH and BRECON railway

NEATH and BRECON railway, a railway in Glamorgan, Brecon, and Carmarthen; from the Vale of Neath railway, 3 miles N of Neath, up the Dulas valleyto certain collieries in Brecon, and onward into junction with the Central Wales railway . It consists of three portions; is on the mixed gauge; was originally called the Dulas Valley Mineral railway; and took its present name in 1863. The first portion, 9¼ miles long, to thecollieries in Brecon, was authorized in 1862, on a capital of £60,000 in shares and £20,000 in loans; the second portion, 8 miles long, an extension to the town of Brecon, was authorized in 1863, on a capital of £405,000 in shares and £135,000 in loans; and the third portion, 15½ miles long, an extension to the Central Wales line, withtwo branches to collieries, was authorized in 1864, on a capital of £210,000 in shares and £70,000 in loans. A part, 10¼ miles, to the Onllwyn iron-works, was opened for-goods and minerals in Sept. 1864.

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a railway"   (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")
Administrative units: Brecknockshire AncC       Carmarthenshire AncC       Glamorgan AncC
Place: Neath

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.