Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEITHROP

NEITHROP, a township in Banbury parish, Oxford; on the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, and the Oxford and Birmingham railway, surrounding Banbury town, and within Banbury borough. Real property, £15, 371. Pop. in 1851, 4, 180; in 1861, 5,081. Houses, 1,042. The Banbury workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 186 inmates.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Banbury AP/CP       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Neithrop

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.