Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWINGTON-BAGPATH

NEWINGTON-BAGPATH, a parish, with a village, in Tetbury district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, 4 miles S E by E of Dursley r. station, and 4½ W N W of Tetbury. Post-town, Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 2, 131. Real property, £2, 477. Pop., 242. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Col. Kingscote. Bagpath Court was formerly a mansion, and is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Owlpen, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450. Patron, Col. Kingscote. The church is early English, and the chancel was lately rebuilt. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Newington Bagpath AP/CP       Tetbury PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Newington Bagpath

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.