Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWMILLS

NEWMILLS, a village and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands on the river Goyt, at the boundary with Cheshire, ¾ of a mile N of the Manchester, Stockport, and Buxton railway, and 7¾ miles E S E of Stockport; was originally called Bowder-Middle-Cale; took the name of Newmills from the erection of a newmill on its site; is a large place; and has a post-office‡under Stockport, a station with telegraph on the M. and B. railway, a station also on the Midland railway, a savings' bank, and fairs on 12 May and 22 Oct. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Beard, Thornsett, Whittle, and Ollersett; and is conterminate with the township of Beard. Acres, 5,044. Real property, £15, 623, of which £1, 150 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4, 366; in 1861, 4, 822. Houses, 940. The property is much subdivided. High Lee Hall is the residence of W. S. Lowe, Esq.; Oak House, of J. Fielding, Esq.; Ollersett Hall, of G. Eyre, Esq.; Watford Villa, of J. Ingham, Esq.; and Aspenshaw Hall, of H. Lees, Esq. There are many calico-printing works and cotton-band manufactories, and an iron and brass foundry. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Glossop. The church is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and amixed national school. The R. Catholic chapel is a very fine structure, in the early English style; and has a tower and spire. The workhouse of Hayfield district also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 41 inmates.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Glossop CP/AP       Derbyshire AncC
Place names: BOWDER MIDDLE CALE     |     NEWMILLS
Place: New Mills

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.