Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWTON (Long)

NEWTON (Long), a village and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The village stands 2½ miles N E of Middleton and Dinsdale r. station, and 4 S W by W of Stockton; and has a post-office under Darlington. The parish comprises 4, 544 acres. Real property, £4, 880. Pop., 353. Houses, 67. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marchioness of Londonderry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £604.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was rebuilt in 1857; has a stained glass E window; and contains a monument, by Monti, to the Marquis of Londonderry who died in 1854. Some remains of the previous church exist; and include monuments of the Vanes.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Long Newton AP/CP       Stockton PLU/RegD       County Durham AncC
Place names: LONG NEWTON     |     NEWTON     |     NEWTON LONG
Place: Long Newton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.