Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR

NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR, a township, with a village, in Shilbottle parish, Northumberland; 5½ miles S of Alnwick. It has a post-office under Acklington, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, and a slightly endowed school. Acres, 911. Pop., 291. Houses, 66. Newton Hall is a chief residence. Limestone a bounds, and is quarried. Coal also is worked; and bricks and tiles are made. There is a large ancient camp.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Newton on the Moor CP/Tn       Shilbottle CP/AP       Northumberland AncC
Place: Newton on the Moor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.