Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORBURY

NORBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Uttoxeter and county of Derby. The village stands on the river Dove, and on the Ashborne branch of the North Staffordshire railway, at the boundary with Staffordshire, 5 miles S W of Ashborne; and has a station on the railway . The parish contains also the hamlet of Roston; and its post town is Ashborne. Acres, 2, 242. Real property, £4, 199. Pop., 476. Houses, 100. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to B. Fitzherbert, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Snelston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev.F. Broughton. The church comprises decorated English chancel and Tudor nave, aisle, and tower; is in good condition; and contains two elaborate alabaster altar-tombs, of the 15th century, to the Fitzherbert family. There are an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £20.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Norbury and Roston AP/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Norbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.