Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORTHWOLD

NORTHWOLD, a village and a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wissey, 4 miles S E by E of Stoke Ferry, and 6½ N by W of Brandon r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Brandon, and a fair on 30 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlet of Whittington. Acres, 5, 232. Real property, £8, 274. Pop., 1, 370. Houses, 298. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged once to Burhill, the friend of Raleigh; and belongs now to H. S. Partridge, Esq. There are several fine residences, a large chalk-pit, and an extensive malt-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £950.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is large and handsome; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower of the 14th century, surmounted by ten spirelets; has anornate oak roof in the nave; and contains remains of ashrine. There are a handsome recent Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £132.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Northwold AP/CP       Thetford PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Northwold

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.