Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORTHWICK

NORTHWICK, a tything and a chapelry in Henbury parish, Gloucester. The tything is conjoint with Redwick; and lies on the river Severn, and on the Bristoland South Wales Union railway, adjacent to New Passage r. station, 5½ miles S W by W of Thornbury. The chapelry is conterminate with the conjoint tything; and its post town is Henbury, under Bristol. Pop., 267. Houses, 54. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land lies very low, and is protected from the tide by a huge sea-wall. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Henbury, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1840; is in the Norman style; and consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a low tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, and an endowed school with £60 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a tything and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Henbury CP/AP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Northwick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.