Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NUNTON-WITH-BODENHAM

NUNTON-WITH-BODENHAM, a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2½ miles S S E of Salisbury r. station. It contains the hamlets of Nunton and Bodenham, the latter of which has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, with Downton parish and Langley-Wood extra-parochial tract, 13, 221. Real property, with Charlton, £3, 531. Rated property of N.with-B. alone, £1, 382. Pop., 282. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. New Hall belonged formerly to J. T. Batt, Esq.; belongs now to Major-General Buckley; and contains a valuable collection of pictures. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Downton, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was recently restored by Wyatt, and contains a monument of J. T. Batt, Esq. There are a Baptist chapel, and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Nunton and Bodenham Ch/CP       Salisbury PLU/RegD       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Nunton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.