Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OADBY

OADBY, a village and a parish in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles E N E of Wigston r. station, and 3½ S E of Leicester; is a large place, chiefly of one long street, very clean and neatlyedificed; carries on framework-knitting for the Leicester manufacturers; and has a postal letter-box under Leicester, and an inn. The parish comprises 1, 560 acres. Real property, £5, 707. Pop. in 1851, 1, 196; in 1861, 1, 254. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. L. Powys-Keck, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Quarndon hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210. Patrons, Certain Guardians. The church is ancient; was extensively repaired in 1853; has a tower with octagonalspire; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and several ancient monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, and charities £44.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Oadby AP/CP       Blaby PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Oadby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.