Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OLD, or Wold

OLD, or Wold, village and a parish in Brixworth district, Northampton. The village stands 2¾ miles S E of Lamport r. station, and 6½ S W of Kettering; and has a post-office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1, 650 acres. Real property, £3, 874. Pop., 472. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £355.* Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is good, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £26 a year, and charities £106.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Old AP/CP       Brixworth PLU/RegD       Northamptonshire AncC
Place names: OLD     |     OLD OR WOLD     |     WOLD
Place: Old

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.