Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OSMINGTON

OSMINGTON, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands in a wooded valley among lofty hills, ¾ of a mile N of the coast, and 4 N E of Weymouth r. station; dates from ancient times, and was named after St. Osmund; is now a small but pretty place; and has a post-office under Weymouth. The parish contains also the hamlets of Osmington-Mills, Ringstead, and Upton; and comprises 2, 182 acres ofland, and 125 of water. Real property, £2, 513. Pop.in 1851, 485; in 1861, 448. Houses, 93. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to King Athelstane, and was given by him to Milton abbey. O. House is the seat of Major Wood. A peculiar kind of excellent building-stone is extensively worked. A figure of George III. on horseback is cut on the steep slope of a chalkhill; occupies nearly an acre; and serves as a landmark to ships at sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £252.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1846; retains the tower of the previous church; and contains a very ancient monument of the Warhams. There are a parochial school, and charities £10.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Osmington CP/AP       Weymouth PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place: Osmington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.