Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ALKMONTON

ALKMONTON, a township and a chapelry in Longford parish, Derby. The township lies 5 miles NNE of Sudbury r. station, and 6 S by E of Ashborne. Post town, Longford under Derby. Pop., 82. Houses, 15. A chapel and an hospital were founded here, in 1474, by Lord Mountjoy; but are now extinct. The present chapelry was constituted in 1849, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 164. Houses, 27. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £50.* Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is very good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Alkmonton Ch/CP/Tn       Longford CP/AP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Alkmonton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.