Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OWLPEN, or Old pen

OWLPEN, or Old pen, a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2¾ miles E of Dursley r. station. Post-town, Dursley. Acres, 720. Real pro-.perty, £1,034. Pop., 91. Houses, 24. The property belonged anciently to the Earls of Berkeley; was given, by one of them, to the Owlpens; passed by marriage, firstto the Daunts, next to the Stoughtons; and belongs now to T. A. Stoughton, Esq. O. Park is Mr. S.'s seat. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Newington-Bagpath, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, The church was rebuilt in 1828; and is in the early English style, with a tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Owlpen Ch/CP       Dursley PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place names: OLD PEN     |     OWLPEN     |     OWLPEN OR OLD PEN
Place: Owlpen

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.