Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PARNDON (Great)

PARNDON (Great), a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands 2¼ miles S E of Roydon r. station, and 4¾ N W by N of Epping; is anancient place; and has a post-office under Harlow. The parish comprises 2, 211 acres. Real property, £3, 540. Pop., 491. Houses, 105. The property is subdivided. King's-Moor House belongs to J. Risdon, Esq. A Premonstratensian canonry was anciently founded in Great Parndon, by Roger de Parndon; and was removed, in 1180, to Little Maldon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £498.* Patrons, Earl Cowley, St. Thomas' Hospital, and the Rev. W.Adams. The church stands on a rising ground; and has a nave, a S aisle, a new chancel, and a tower and spire. Charities, £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Great Parndon AP/CP       Epping PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: GREAT PARNDON     |     PARNDON     |     PARNDON GREAT
Place: Great Parndon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.