Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PARWICH

PARWICH, a village and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The village stands 1¾ mile S W of the Cromford and High Peak railway, and 6 N of Ashborne; and has a post-office‡ under Ashborne. The parish comprises 3, 247 acres. Real property, £4, 502. Pop., 521. Houses, 108. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to T. W. Evans, Esq. A Roman campwas here, and has yielded many Roman relics, and leftsome remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £130. Patron, T. W. Evans, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has Norman arches. There are a national school, built in 1862, and charities £91.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Parwich CP/Ch       Ashbourne PLU/RegD       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Parwich

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.