Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PENCOMBE

PENCOMBE, a village and a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford. The village stands 4 miles W S W of Bromyard, and 6 E of Dinmore r. station; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Marstone-Stannett, and comprises 4, 590 acres. Real property, £4, 276. Pop., 415. Houses, 76. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. H. Arkwright, Esq. About 302 acres are usually underhops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £600.* Patron, J. H. Arkwright, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1865, at a cost of £3, 232; is in the transition Norman style; and consists of nave, chancel, and apse, with vestry, S porch, and S E tower. The p. curacy of Marstone-Stannett is a separate benefice.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Pencombe CP/AP       Bromyard PLU/RegD       Herefordshire AncC
Place: Pencombe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.