Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PENHURST

PENHURST, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; 3¾ miles W by N of Battle r. station. Post-town, Battle. Acres, 1, 462. Real property, £848. Pop., 105. Houses, 19. The property belongs to the Earl of Ashburnham. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburnham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is early English, and has a small tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Penhurst CP/AP       Battle PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Penhurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.