Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ALDRINGTON, or Atherington

ALDRINGTON, or Atherington, a parish in Steyning district, Sussex; on the coast, near the South Coast railway, 3 miles W of Brighton. Post Town, Brighton. Acres, 776. Pop., 7. Houses, 2. A village here which antiquaries suppose to have been the Portus Adurni of the Romans, which some also suppose to have been given by King Alfred to his younger son, and which came to bear the same name. as the parish, was destroyed at no very late period, by encroachment of the sea. So much of the parish also was carried away that not an inhabitant was found in it at the Censuses of 1801-31. The ruins of the church, in early English architecture, still exist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £294. Patron, Magdalene College, Cambridge.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Aldrington AP/CP       Steyning PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: ALDRINGTON     |     ALDRINGTON OR ATHERINGTON     |     ATHERINGTON
Place: Aldrington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.