Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ALDRIDGE

ALDRIDGE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Walsall, Stafford. The town stands near the Worley canal, 2¾ miles ESE of Pelsall r. station, and 3½ NE of Walsall; and it has a post office under Walsall. An extensive distillery is here; and fine potter's clay and coal are worked in the neighbourhood. Pop., 1,179. Houses, 234.—The parish includes also the town of Great Barr. Acres, 7,752. Real property, £6,041. Pop., 2,254. Houses, 454. The property is divided among a few. A height called Barr-Beacon, is said to have been a place of Druidical sacrifices; and a pool, called Druid Mere, makes an occasional overflow, and has been popularly imagined to possess some supernatural quality. Barr-Hall-Park is the seat of Sir E. D. Scott, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £375.* Patron, the Rev. J. F. Smith. The church contains a monument of a Stapleton, and is good. The vicarage of Great Barr is a separate benefice. Jordan's schools have £118 from endowment, and other charities £64.-The subdistrict comprises two parishes and part of a third. Pop., 7,026. Houses, 1,413.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Aldridge CP/AP       Aldridge SubD       Walsall PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Aldridge

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.