Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PORTISHAM

PORTISHAM, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset; under Black Down, 2 miles N E of Abbotsbury, and 6 S W of Dorchester r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Coryatts, Shilvington, and Waddon; and its post town is Dorchester. Acres, 4, 540. Real property, £2, 896. Pop., 704. Houses, 138. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Fitzhardinge. Acromlech, called Hell-stone, is on Ridge hill; comprises nine upright stones, about 3 feet broad and 6feet high, and an oval horizontal one 10½ feet long and about 2 feet thick; stands on a tumulus, with connectingterrace 60 feet long; and was proposed, in 1866, to be restored. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £35.* Patron, W. Manfield, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has a pinnacled tower. Charities, £7. Admiral Sir Thomas Hardy, who servedwith Nelson, was a native; and a tower to his memorystands on Black Down.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Portesham CP/AP       Weymouth PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place: Portesham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.