Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for POTTERNE

POTTERNE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Wilts. The village stands 2 miles S by W of Devizes r.station, and has a post-office under Devizes. The parishincludes the tythings of Marston and Worton, and is in Devizes district. Acres, 4, 956. Real property, £14,017. Pop., 1,826. Houses, 417. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury. Eastwell is the seat of the Grubbes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £601.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is early English, cruciform, and good; and has a pinnacled tower, and carved pulpit. The p. curacy of Worton and Marston is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school, and charities £44. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes, and bears the name of Potterne and Cannings. Acres, 30, 930. Pop. in 1851, 8, 284; in 1861, 8,095. Houses, 1, 721.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Potterne AP/CP       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Potterne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.